I Had An Accident At Work What Are My Rights?
I Had An Accident At Work What Are My Rights? Experienced Work Accident Claims Solicitors Belfast
If you have been injured while working because of someone else’s negligence or because your employer has failed in their duty of care towards you, you could be entitled to a compensation payment.
You have a number of rights while you are at work and when these are breached, you are advised to speak to a solicitor about taking steps to enforce them.
At McGee Solicitors, we routinely represent employees who have been injured at work or while carrying out their job at another location. We have obtained compensation payments for a range of injuries of varying severity.
Our team has a high level of personal injury claims expertise, meaning we are confident that if you ask us to represent you, we will secure the best possible work accident compensation payment on your behalf.
We also provide a high standard of client care. Our experts understand that you may feel apprehensive about making a claim against your employer. We will provide the advice and guidance you need to ensure that you are supported throughout your case. The claim will generally be made against your employer’s insurance company. We are comfortable dealing with large insurers and their legal teams and you can rest assured that we will make your case in the strongest possible terms.
If you would like to speak to one of our work accident claim solicitors, please ring us for a free initial consultation. Call us on 028 71 229 343 or fill in our no-obligation Free Enquiry Form and an expert work accident claims lawyer in Belfast will ring you back.
“I have honestly never spoken to nicer people. They also went above and beyond and won my case and got the best outcome that I never even imagined! If you go to McGee Solicitors you will not regret it – they have been amazing!!”
Why Choose McGee Solicitors?
- Expertise – we have in-depth experience in work accident claims meaning we are confident that we can secure you the best possible compensation payment
- You will keep 100% of your compensation – we believe that you should be entitled to keep all of your damages award, so we guarantee that you will keep 100% of the payment made to you
- Full legal costs protection – we know that costs may be of concern to you, so we are able to offer full protection. Give us a ring to discuss the options available
- Free initial consultation – we know you probably have many questions, so we offer a free initial consultation to allow you to get to know us and ask us anything you want to know
Your Employer’s Duty Of Care To You
Your rights at work include the duty of care that your employer owes to you. This is a wide duty, intended to encourage your employer to protect you and to give you the right to compensation if you are hurt.
Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, your employer is required to take reasonable steps to keep you safe and prevent accidents from happening. This includes:
- Carrying out regular risk assessments and working to eliminate risks
- Eliminating slipping and tripping hazards
- Advising employees about hazardous substances or processes
- Providing adequate safety equipment
- Providing adequate training to you and your colleagues
- Ensuring machinery is safe to use and regularly maintained
- Providing adequate staff welfare facilities
- Complying with health and safety legislation
What Are My Rights For An Accident At Work?
If you have been injured at work because your employer failed to observe their duty of care towards you, to include negligence on the part of a colleague, you are likely to have the right to be compensated for what has happened.
You will need to show that your employer was liable for your injuries. Our team know how to put together a strong case proving this and we can work with you to gather evidence, speak to witnesses and assess your injuries.
Proving You Are Entitled To Work Accident Compensation
To prove that you are entitled to compensation for your work accident injuries, we will need to establish the following on your behalf:
- That your employer breached their duty of care towards you
- That this breach caused or contributed to your accident
- That the accident caused your injuries
We will arrange for you to be examined by medical experts who will be able to prepare a report setting out the extent of your injuries and the likely ongoing effects they will have.
When we have notified your employer and their insurer that you will be making a claim, they may admit liability. In this case, we will negotiate with them to try and agree on a sum in compensation. We are robust negotiators and are usually able to settle a case out of court, meaning you will not have to attend a hearing.
If they do not offer an adequate sum to compensate you for what has happened or they deny liability, we will prepare your case for court. You will be represented by an expert in personal injury and work accident claims and we will ensure that you have our support and guidance throughout.
Use our Accident At Work Compensation Calculator to discover the possible level of compensation you could be entitled to.
Find out how much your Compensation Claim is worth now:-
The Right To Compensation For An Accident At Work
If you have the right to compensation for an accident at work, you will be entitled to receive two types of damages:
- General damages; and
- Special damages
General damages refers to compensation for the pain and suffering your accident has caused as well as loss of amenity, or being unable to carry out activities any more, such as hiking or gardening. This part of the payment is intended to compensate you for the effect of the injuries and any reduction in your quality of life.
Special damages refers to any financial loss you have incurred because of the accident. You are entitled to be paid for any expenditure resulting from your injuries, which could include:
- Loss of earnings
- Future loss of earnings
- The cost of travel to and from medical appointments
- Special equipment
- Therapy or medical treatment not provided by the NHS
- Adapting your home, if necessary
- Help with household tasks if you are no longer able to do these yourself
- Personal care if you need assistance with this
Starting An Accident At Work Compensation Claim
You are advised to speak to a solicitor as soon as you realise you have been injured at work as there are time limits for starting a claim.
The first step is to contact an expert work accident solicitor. If you ask us to help you, we will start by having an initial free consultation with you. This gives you the opportunity to tell us about what happened and ask us any questions you may have. We can explain the first steps in the process of securing compensation and discuss issues such as how much you might expect to receive, how long the claim is likely to take and how your legal costs will be paid.
“Excellent service wouldn’t go anywhere else. Couldn’t recommend McGee Solicitors enough, they are very friendly and informative. You’ll get 100% honesty and your case will be dealt with efficiently no matter day or night they are easily contacted and couldn’t do enough to help.”
Contact Our Work Accident Solicitors Belfast
If you have been hurt while working and you would like to speak to a personal injury lawyer, please feel free to give us a call.
Our team are friendly and understanding and will help you in any way they can during the claims process.
For a free initial consultation, call us on 028 71 229 343 or fill in our no-obligation Free Enquiry Form and you will be able to speak to one of our expert work accident compensation claims solicitors in Belfast.
Why Choose Us?
- - Solicitors On Your Side
- - FREE No Obligation Enquiry
- - Exceptional Customer Service